Tuesday, September 30, 2008

DragShowcase Interviews Erica Andrews

There are few people that have earned the title legend. Erica Andrews is one of those people. Enjoy our interview with this true legend in the world of drag.

Can you to tell us a little bit about yourself and where you are from?
I was raised in Mexico but have grown up in the states. At this time I live in San Antonio, Texas where I work at The Saint Night Club.
Who helped you or inspired you the most when you first started your career as an entertainer?
Tandi Andrews and Raphael Velasco
How did you first become involved in the art of female impersonation?
My first boyfriend did drag and rest is history [laughing].
What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment?
Living life as woman with my family’s support.

You have won many titles can you tell us some of them ?
Miss Texas USofA,Miss Gay USofA,Miss Texas Continental,Miss Continental,Miss Texas EOY,Miss EOY,Miss Universal ShowQueen (Hawaii) ,Miss Transexual America,Miss International Queen( Thailand).
What was your first pageant and how was that experience?
A local bar jukebox pageant, Miss Just Us [laughing]; I won and felt like Miss Universe.
Are there any more pageants in your future that you would like to compete in?
Yes!


What was it like going to Thailand for the Miss International Queen pageant?
It’s run like the real Miss Universe with many hours of work before the big night. Thailand is the land of smiles and people are very friendly. We [drag queens] are known as “ladyboys” and are very accepted in their society. An amazing, overwhelming experience!
Can you tell us more about your drag mother Tandi Andrews?
She was an amazing person; a true professional and great inspiration! I pay tribute to her every day, my mother!
Do you have any drag daughters and if so can you tell us about them?
I have a few which are great girls and very talented.
Are you a full time entertainer or do you have a second career?
I am a make-up artist as well and am working on some television pilots [fingers crossed]. You can see me on “Trantasia,” the documentary film about eight transgendered girls. It’s now on Amazon.com.

Where would someone be able to see you perform?
On Thursdays at The Saint in San Antonio, Texas. Once a month I perform in Tampa, Florida at Flirt and twice a month at The Rose Room in Dallas Texas; additionally, I always perform at every national pageant I’ve won.
What advice would you give to someone just starting out as an entertainer?
Do things your way, it’s the only way in this business. Take criticism in a constructive manner and not to heart.
What are some of your favorite cities either to perform in or just visit?
Chicago; New York; Los Angeles; Honolulu; Pattaya, Thailand; Tokyo; and Toronto.
Who are some of your favorite designers and where do you like to shop for clothes?
Chanel; Vera Wang; Roberto Cavalli; and my favorite local designer is Rodrigo Virgin of San Antonio. I also like to shop just about anywhere from boutiques to vintage stores to the airport. It’s a problem.

Describe what a normal day in your life is like?
I try and look for new material for work, but mainly it’s the office, emails, gym, lunch, and phone calls.
Favorite Movie(s)?
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Favorite Singer(s) / Favorite Song(s)?
Cher; Selena; The Way of Love; and Con Tanto Amor Medley
Favorite Television show(s) past or present?
Desperate Housewives


In closing, what would you like to say to your fans?
My career as an entertainer has had its ups and downs, but my family, friends and fans have always supported me through thick and think. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and God Bless. Thanks for dropping by and hope to see [you] soon!
Love,Erica